Onny Valley Social Club (affectionately known locally as the Over 50s) was formed in 1997 to provide the opportunity for those aged over 50 to meet and socialise, take part in activities, and go on trips outside the immediate area together. The club is very well supported with members ranging from their 50s to 80s and above, and the wide range of backgrounds and interests is reflected in the variety of talks, activities and trips each year. Membership is only £10 per annum, and non-members are very welcome to join the trips, the cost of which depends on the numbers booking to go.
The club meets in The Village Hall at Norbury on the first Tuesday of each month at 2.30 pm (unless otherwise stated) with an additional fee of 50p for refreshments (tea, coffee and biscuits). We also hold a raffle at meetings (£1 per ticket) to help cover the cost of the hall hire. All members are invited to bring a prize with them.
Please see our 2019 programme of meetings and trips below. If you would like more details, please contact Eileen Ashley on 01694 781458 or Edna Jones on 01588 650634.
Our 2020 Meeting Programme
• Tuesday 7 January – Soups and Puddings plus Entertainment
• Tuesday 4 February – Angela Povey Weaving and Spinning
• Tuesday 3 March, 12.30 for 1.00 pm – Fish and Chips with Skittles
• Tuesday 7 April – Street Pastor Shrewsbury to give talk about their valuable work
• Tuesday 4 May, 12.30 for 1.00 pm – Lunch and Entertainment (names for catering)
• Friday 18 September – Skittles with Norbury and District WI
• Tuesday 6 October – AGM
Coach Trips in 2020
• Sunday 12 January – Pantomime at Theatre Severn, Shrewsbury
• Wednesday 15 April – Guide dog Training, Droitwich (departs 9.00 am)
• Wednesday 20 May – West Midland Safari Park (departs 9.00 am)
• Tuesday 2 June – Spetchley Park Gardens, Worcester (departs 10.00 am)
• Wednesday 17 June – National Tramway, Matlock (departs 8.00 am)
• Tuesday, 7 July – Mystery Trip (departs 10.00 am)
• Wednesday 15 July – Dean of Forest Railway Parkend to Lynsay with Cream Tea (departs 8.00 am)
• Wednesday 19 August – Chirk Castle and Moreton Park Garden (departs 9.00 am)
• Wednesday 16 September – Wyevale Worcester and Witley Court (departs 8.00 am)
• Wednesday 21 October – Game Keepers Cottage with 2 Course Lunch and Guided Tour through the Wye Valley (departs 8.00 am)
Christmas trip to be arranged
Coaches pick up at: Bowling Green Close, Bishop’s Castle and also The Village Hall, Lydham. All bookable trips must be paid for in advance and ticket money is not reimbursable.