In the photo above WI members – showing off their bloomers at the 2016 Christmas Party!
Celebrating its 60th year in 2014, Norbury & District WI is a welcoming, supportive and fun group of women who meet every second Thursday in the month at Norbury Village Hall. Norbury Village Hall has full disabled facilities and easy access and parking.
Currently Norbury & District WI has around 40 members drawn from the surrounding villages. New members are welcome to join throughout the year, however, guests are also welcome at any time.
The monthly meetings start at 7.30pm with a short meeting to discuss WI business and events for the diary, followed by a guest speaker, this is followed by a lovely buffet tea which gives members the chance to socialise and catch-up.
Norbury & District WI also has three darts teams which take part in the WI’s county-wide competition … bringing the cup home to Norbury on no less than 3 occasions!
The WI is run by a committee of around 12 members, the current President is Mrs. Rita Preston.
The exciting schedule of guest speakers for 2017 is below:
* February 9th – ‘Diary of a Show Garden’ with Paul Richards;
* March 9th – ‘My visits to Thai Prisons and Orphanages’ with Steve Thomas;
* April 13th – ‘Five dogs, two cats and a couple of mugs – a Greek Odyssey’ with Mary Johns;
* May 11th – ‘Dog AID (Assistance in Disability)’ with Sandra Fraser;
* June 8th – ‘Middle Eastern Belly Dancing’ with Fiona Ashby;
* July 13th – ‘Garden meeting at The Brinks, Ratlinghope, home of Jo Mitton-Gore;
* August 10th – ‘Walk with Kath Hughes, Krystyna Lawson & Jo Mitton-Gore;
* September 14th – ‘Curry and Spices’ with Kay Paul;
* October 12th – ‘Haunted Shrewsbury’ with Martin Wood;
* November 9th – AGM and ‘A talk on Native Owl’ with Gill Hales;
* December 14th – ‘Christmas Party';
* January 11th – ‘Sell up and Sail, six years on a sailing boat from Sussex to Sulawesi’.
If you would like to join one of the meetings, perhaps to give the group a try before joining, please call Rita Preston on 01588 650 671. There is a small fee for visiting members of £3.50, this includes a lovely supper!