Onny Valley Social Club (affectionately known locally as the Over 50s) was formed in 1997 to provide the opportunity for those aged over 50 to meet and socialise, take part in activities, and go on trips outside the immediate area together. The club is very well supported with members ranging from their 50s to 80s and above, and the wide range of backgrounds and interests is reflected in the variety of talks, activities and trips each year. Membership is only £10 per annum, and non-members are very welcome to join the trips, the cost of which depends on the numbers booking to go.
The club meets in The Village Hall at Norbury on the first Tuesday of each month at 2.30 pm (unless otherwise stated) with an additional fee of 50p for refreshments (tea, coffee and biscuits). We also hold a raffle at meetings (£1 per ticket) to help cover the cost of the hall hire. All members are invited to bring a prize with them.
Please see our 2019 programme of meetings and trips below. If you would like more details, please contact Eileen Ashley on 01694 781458 or Edna Jones on 01588 650634.
Our 2019 Meeting Programme
• Tuesday 8 January, 12.30 for 1.00 pm – Soups and Puddings
• Tuesday 5 February, 2.30 pm – Letters and Recordings from WW1
• Tuesday 5 March, 12.30 for 1.00 pm – Fish and Chips with Skittles
• Tuesday 2 April, 2.30 pm – ‘Memories of Trips’ with Jim and Wendy Russell
• Tuesday 7 May, 2.30 pm – Doris’s 90th Birthday Party with Entertainment
• Friday 6 September, 7.30 pm – ‘Skittles Night’ with Norbury and District WI
• Tuesday 1 October, 2.30 pm – AGM
Trips in 2019
• Sunday 6 January – Mother Goose at Theatre Severn
• Wednesday 17 April – Blue Planet and Cheshire Oaks (departs 9.00 am)
• Wednesday 15 May – Tintern Abbey, Chepstow (departs 8.00 am)
• Tuesday 4 June – Sabrina Boat Trip, Shrewsbury (departs 11.30 am)
• Wednesday 19 June – Welsh Mountain Zoo, Colwyn Bay (departs 8.00 am)
• Tuesday, 2 July – Lake Vyrnwy (departs 11.00 am)
• Wednesday 17 July – Llandudno (departs 8.00 am)
• Wednesday 21 August – Port Sunlight (departs 8.00 am)
• Wednesday 18 September – Canal and Locks (time tbc)
• Wednesday 16 October – Llangollen Railway (departs 9.00 am)
Christmas trip to be arranged
Coaches pick up at: Bowling Green Close, Bishop’s Castle and also The Village Hall, Lydham. All bookable trips must be paid for in advance and ticket money is not reimbursable.